Don't Trash Our Future
At the University of Chester we are reducing, re-using and recycling our waste for a better future.
As part of our commitment to reducing our negative impacts on the environment, we employ the waste hierarchy: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, other recovery (refuse derived fuel), disposal. The higher up the chain we operate the more positive the impact. None of the waste produced by the University ends up in landfill and hasn't for the last 4 years.
We have recently changed our waste contractor and posters in the download section below illustrate what can go in the recycling bins. Please ensure bottles are emptied of liquids to avoid contaminating the recyclable waste. Crisp packets and coffee cups are to go in the general waste bin, alternatively if you are in any of the University Libraries or catering outlets you will find specific recycling points for coffee cups and crisp packets!
What can you do?
- Join the Love Food Hate Waste campaign Keep an eye out for LFHW gigs on your campus this year.
- Sign up to Olio to share donate opened/in date/unwanted food to others in your local community.
- Join a Green Impact team in your department to achieve positive, meaningful change of the department’s environmental performance.
- Purchase a reusable water bottle and coffee cup. This not only reduces the amount of single use plastic thrown away on campus but also will save you 20p on using a disposable cup when purchasing drinks in the catering outlets.
- Each year we run the Pack for Good initiative with the British Heart Foundation. We have collection points by the tennis courts on Parkgate Rd campus and outside the Fitness Centre on Warrington campus. Bags for your items are available at receptions and in the SU and will be given to you by the Domestic Services team after Easter. Check out the poster in our downloads section below.
- The catering team have a range of EcoTakeout boxes which you can use. These can be purchased from all catering outlets.
- Keep an eye out for the Patch Challenge a team of staff and student volunteers running repair workshops where you can learn how to fix, and upcycle your clothes.
There are recycling points across our campuses and we are continually improving our recycling rates. To find out what you can and can't recycle have a look at our poster in the downloads section below.
- Glass can be recycled on Parkgate, Warrington and Thornton campuses. These are green wheelie bins and are marked for glass.
- If you are a student living in accomodation serviced by Cheshire West and Chester Council read their guide in the downloads section to avoid a £75 fine.
- There are battery bins at every reception.
- Staff have desk-top recycling trays on their desks to help them recycle their paper. Let us know at Green Chester if you don't have one.
- Lyreco collect all used printer cartridges – laser, photocopier and inkjet. They deliver a cardboard collection box. The phone number to arrange it for your department is 0845 767 6999. Once the box is full give them a call and they collect the box.
- All of our Dining Halls now seperate and recycle food waste. They are diverting tonnes of food waste from landfill to be processed using Anaerobic Digestion. Want to know more? Read the ReFood Brochure in the downloads section. Students at Grosvenor House also recycle their food waste.
Policies & Reports
- Chester & Kingsway Recycling Guide
- What can go in the mixed recycling bin?
- Warrington Recycling Guide
- Thornton Recycling Guide
- Queen's Park Recycling Guide
- Dont Trash Our Future Poster Warrington.pdf
- Don't Trash Our Future Poster Chester Main Campus
- Cheshire West and Chester Council Student Recycling Guide
- British Heart Foundation Report 2018
Let's get together
Green Ts and Advocates...